Key Improvements Required
- The company has not yet developed and adopted a Wood and Pulp Sourcing Policy commitment. The immediate next step for Aoyang Technology is to develop a strong sourcing policy.
- Once this is accomplished, the next action required for its implementation will be to share sourcing data and to obtain third party verification through the CanopyStyle Audit process.
- Use ForestMapper to ensure future expansion plans and ventures are not located in Ancient and Endangered Forests. We recommend that the company move quickly to have 80-100% of new production capacity originate from Next Generation Solution feedstock and move assertively to substitute alternatives for any current reliance on sourcing from Ancient and Endangered Forests by the end of 2020.
- To prioritize the development of products that meet or surpass the current market expectation for viscose products containing at least 50% Next Generation raw material input.
Areas where the company is showing leadership
No significant leadership shown to date. The company attended CanopyStyle’s 2019 Shanghai Summit with brands, innovators and producers.
Number of viscose, lyocell and dissolving pulp mills + location and production volumes
Aoyang Technology, owns two viscose mills in China.
• Manasi Aoyang – 90 000 tonnes of viscose
• Funing Aoyang – 170 000 tonnes of viscose
Aoyang produces man-made cellulosic fibre (MMCF) and nonwovens, mainly standard viscose fibres and rayon.
The company has been unresponsive in providing information. Like many other viscose producers, the company is expected to be sourcing a large variety of tree species.