Key Improvements Required
- Following the publication of the audit, Eastman will be expected to continue to address any controversial sourcing issues that are identified and progress on remaining sustainability steps.
- Use ForestMapper to ensure future expansion plans and ventures are not located in Ancient and Endangered Forests.
- We recommend that the company move quickly to have 80-100% of new production capacity originate from Next Generation Solution feedstock and move assertively to substitute alternatives for any reliance on sourcing from Ancient and Endangered Forests by the end of 2020.
- To prioritize the development of products that meet or surpass the current market expectation for viscose products containing at least 50% Next Generation raw material input.
Areas where the company is showing leadership
In recent months, Eastman has shown leadership by engaging with dissolving pulp suppliers in gathering sourcing information, as well as deeply engaging suppliers to mitigate any possible risk. The company has also obtained FSC COC for its facility, increased the use of FSC fibre. Eastman is investing in circular recycling technologies and in Next Generation fibre solutions. It has also supported conservation solutions and the ForestMapper tool.
Number of viscose, lyocell and dissolving pulp mills + location and production volumes
- Eastman owns one facility in Kingsport, Tennessee.
- They produce 200,000 tonnes of diacetate.