Key Improvements Required
- Following the first annual CanopyStyle Audit findings, the company will be expected to address any controversial sourcing issues that are identified and progress on remaining sustainability steps, such as supporting conservation solutions and driving new alternative fibres.
- Use ForestMapper to ensure future expansion plans and ventures are not located in Ancient and Endangered Forests.
- We recommend that the company move quickly to have 80-100% of new production capacity originate from Next Generation Solution feedstock and move assertively to substitute alternatives for any reliance on sourcing from Ancient and Endangered Forests by the end of 2020.
- To prioritize the development of products that meet or surpass the current market expectation for viscose products containing at least 50% Next Generation raw material input.
Areas where the company is showing leadership
Formosa has demonstrated leadership in proactively outreaching with Canopy to join the Initiative, and attended the CanopyStyle summit in June 2019. The company is supporting conservation solutions, as well as the ForestMapper tool, and is also investing in research and development of Next Generation fibre solutions. Additionally, it has increased its use of FSC certified fibre.
Number of viscose, lyocell and dissolving pulp mills + location and production volumes
- Formosa owns one facility in Taiwan.
- They produce 70,000 tonnes of viscose fibre.