Key Improvements Required
- Use ForestMapper to ensure future expansion plans and ventures are not located in Ancient and Endangered Forests.
- We recommend that the company move quickly to have 80-100% of new production capacity originate from Next Generation Solution feedstock and move assertively to substitute alternatives by the end of 2020.
- To prioritize the development of products that meet or surpass the current market expectation for viscose products containing at least 50% Next Generation raw material input.
Areas where the company is showing leadership
Kelheim has demonstrated valuable leadership in proactively outreaching with Canopy to join CanopyStyle. In just a few months, the company has formalized and launched public its Wood Pulp Sourcing Policy with Canopy, attended the CanopyStyle China Summit, conducted the audit, as well as supported conservation solutions and the ForestMapper tool. The company is also investing significantly in the research and development of Next Generation fibre solutions.
Number of viscose, lyocell and dissolving pulp mills + location and production volumes
- Kelheim owns one mill in Kelheim, Germany.
- Capacity is 90,000 tonnes.
- They produce viscose fibres out of a variety of tree species listed in the audit.