Key Improvements Required
- The immediate next step for Mitsubishi is finalize its policy and share its list of suppliers with Canopy.
- The company is also encouraged to sign a contract with third party auditors to verify its viscose supply chain for risk of sourcing from ancient and endangered forests.
- Following auditing, Mitsubishi will be expected to address any controversial sourcing issues that are identified and progress on remaining sustainability steps, such as supporting conservation solutions and driving new alternative fibers.
- Use ForestMapper to ensure future expansion plans and ventures are not located in Ancient and Endangered Forests. We recommend that the company move quickly to have 80-100% of new production capacity originate from Next Generation Solution feedstock and move assertively to substitute alternatives for any reliance on sourcing from Ancient and Endangered Forests by the end of 2020.
- To prioritize the development of products that meet or surpass the current market expectation for viscose products containing at least 50% Next Generation raw material input.
Areas where the company is showing leadership
Mitsubishi has demonstrated valuable leadership in proactively outreaching with Canopy to join the CanopyStyle initiative.