The producer is addressing the pollution originated by the chemical substances used during the MMCF production process. It has joined a credible initiative that advances solutions on chemical management. (worth 2 points)
The producer is implementing, for all of its sites, pollution control technologies to limit their impact, developing an approach for the recovery of substances used or generated during the production of MMCF.
ZDHC Responsible Fibre Production Guidelines ZDHC Wastewater Guidelines (evaluated in 2020, worth 3 points) ZDHC Air Emissions Guidelines
Key Improvements Required
- The company has not yet developed and adopted a Wood and Pulp Sourcing Policy commitment. The immediate next step for SilverHawk is to develop a strong sourcing policy.
- Once this is accomplished, the next action required for its implementation will be to share sourcing data and to complete third party verification through the CanopyStyle Audit process.
- Prioritize the integration and sourcing of Next Generation Solution technologies and feedstocks for future expansion plans and new suppliers. At minimum, use ForestMapper and complementary guidance documents such as the advice note of Ancient and Endangered Forests and the Dissolving Pulp Classification to ensure that all current and any new suppliers are not sourcing from Ancient and Endangered Forests.
- Following auditing, the company will be expected to address any controversial sourcing issues that are identified and progress on remaining sustainability steps, such as supporting conservation solutions and driving the use of new alternative fibres.
- Procure higher volumes of FSC 100% certified inputs increasing volumes coming from virgin sources that have achieved FSC Forest Management on the ground.
Areas where the company is showing leadership
No significant leadership shown to date.
Number of viscose, lyocell and dissolving pulp mills + location and production volumes
Silver Hawk Group has two viscose staple fibre mills in China.
- Xinjiang Silver Hawk mill viscose production capacity is 160 000 tonnes.
- Shandong Silver Hawk mill viscose production capacity is 75 000 tonnes.
They produce man-made cellulosic fibre (MMCF) and nonwovens, mainly standard viscose fibres and rayon.
Like many other viscose producers, the company is expected to be sourcing a large variety of tree species.