Key Improvements Required
Sanyou is encouraged to continue to progress on their sustainability practices including:
- Continue to engage with suppliers to address risk and improve practices
- Sanyou has done trials and is well positioned to aggressively build next generation solutions into their fiber projections for the coming years.
- Use ForestMapper to ensure future expansion plans and ventures are not located in Ancient and Endangered Forests. We recommend that the company move quickly to have 80-100% of new production capacity originate from Next Generation Solution feedstock and move assertively to substitute alternatives for any reliance on sourcing from Ancient and Endangered Forests by the end of 2020.
Sanyou is encouraged to continue to use its leadership within the Collaboration for Sustainable Viscose in China, the CV, to ensure that the CV roadmap aligns its raw material sourcing criteria with the company’s commitment to avoid sourcing from Ancient and Endangered forests.
Areas where the company is showing leadership
In recent months, Sanyou has shown notable leadership with:
- The successful trial, and the commercial production of kick-off volumes of viscose staple fiber made from 50% post-consumer recycled cotton textiles, supplied by Swedish company Re:newcell.
- Deep engagement with dissolving pulp suppliers in gathering sourcing information and engaging supply chain partners to participate in large-scale conservation solutions.
- Influencing its peers in the China viscose sector in support of the vision to protect ancient & endangered forests.
- Collaborating with ZDHC (Roadmap to Zero Programme) on its wastewater guidelines.
Number of viscose, lyocell and dissolving pulp mills + location and production volumes
The Tangshan Sanyou Group Company Limited owns two viscose mills and is associated with one dissolving pulp mill.
• Tangshan Sanyou Yuanda Fiber Co Ltd.
• Tangshan Sanyou Xingda Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd.
Together these mills have a combined viscose capacity of 800 000 tonnes
• Tangshan Sanyou Group has 100% equity in the Dongguang Pulp Co. Ltd – a Chinese dissolving pulp mill which uses cotton linter as raw material. The capacity is 170 000 tonnes per year.
Man-made cellulosic fiber (MMCF) and nonwovens, dissolving pulp, standard viscose fibres, rayon and others including bamboo, modal, pearl, corn protein, dope-dyed, bamboo.
Tangshan Sanyou uses a diversity of tree species such as eucalyptus, birch, spruce, pine and others.