The Producer Is Addressing the Pollution Originated by the Chemical Substances Used During the MMCF Production Process. It Has Joined a Credible Initiative That Advances Solutions on Chemical Management.
The producer is implementing, for all of its sites, pollution control technologies to limit their impact, developing an approach for the recovery of substances used or generated during the production of MMCF.
In the future, criteria will be built out by ZDHC to apply V2.0 of ZDHC MMCF Guidelines, including air emissions and responsible fibre production.
Key Improvements Required
- Re-engage in dialogue with Canopy, and initiate an independent third-party CanopyStyle Audit to verify progress in implementing its Wood and Pulp Sourcing Policy.
- Use ForestMapper and complementary guidance documents such as the Dissolving Pulp Mill Classification to ensure no sourcing from Ancient and Endangered Forests.
- Prioritize the integration and sourcing of Next Generation Solution technologies and feedstocks for future expansion plans and new suppliers.
- Following auditing, Shandong Xinlong can then address any sourcing issues that are identified and progress on remaining sustainability steps, such as supporting conservation solutions and driving the use of new alternative fibres.
- Where virgin fibres are used and they are not coming from key priority Ancient and Endangered Forests, procure higher volumes of FSC 100% certified inputs from sources that have achieved FSC Forest Management certification on the ground.
Areas where the company is showing leadership
Shandong Xinlong has previously engaged in dialogue with Canopy, however, the company has not yet progressed in fulfilling its policy commitments and has been non-responsive to recent requests for renewed dialogue.
Number of viscose, lyocell and dissolving pulp mills + location and production volumes
Shandong Xinlong produce nonwovens, standard viscose fibres and rayon with some viscose filament and owns one viscose mill in Weifang City, Shandong, China, with production capacity of 200, 000 tonnes.