The producer is addressing the pollution originated by the chemical substances used during the MMCF production process. It has joined a credible initiative that advances solutions on chemical management. (worth 2 points)
The producer is implementing, for all of its sites, pollution control technologies to limit their impact, developing an approach for the recovery of substances used or generated during the production of MMCF.
ZDHC Responsible Fibre Production Guidelines ZDHC Wastewater Guidelines (evaluated in 2020, worth 3 points) ZDHC Air Emissions Guidelines
Key Improvements Required
Yibin Grace is encouraged to continue to progress on their sustainability practices including:
- Continue to address potential risk in its supply chain through engagement with its suppliers, through a formal action plan.
- Publish regions where suppliers are located, on the company website.
- Accelerate the use of Next Generation Fibre Solutions in order to meet or exceed the aspirational targets outlined in the Vision: 20% by 2021, and 50% by 2030.
- Prioritize the integration and sourcing of Next Generation Solution technologies and feedstocks for future expansion plans and new suppliers. At a minimum, continue to use ForestMapper and complementary guidance documents such as the advice note of Ancient and Endangered Forests and the Dissolving Pulp Classification to ensure no sourcing from Ancient and Endangered Forests.
- Where virgin fibres are used and they are not coming from key priority Ancient and Endangered Forests, procure higher volumes of FSC 100% certified inputs from sources that have achieved FSC Forest Management certification on the ground.
Areas where the company is showing leadership
Yibin Grace has consistently engaged with Canopy since it adopted a Wood and Pulp Sourcing Policy in 2018.
- The company published its first CanopyStyle audit in 2019.
- The company has supported conservation solutions, the ForestMapper tool and the Next Generation Vision for Viscose.
- Yibin Grace has increased the amount of FSC mixed fibre inputs, and is actively investing in Next Generation Fibre Solutions.
Number of viscose, lyocell and dissolving pulp mills + location and production volumes
Yibin Grace has two viscose staple fibre mills and one viscose filament mill in China.
- Yibin Grace mill viscose production capacity is 250 000 tons.
- Chengdu Grace Fiber mill viscose production capacity is 100 000 tons.
- Yibin Grace viscose filament yarn production capacity is 50 000 tons.
They produce man-made cellulosic fibre (MMCF) and nonwovens, mainly standard viscose fibres, rayon and viscose filament yarn.
Like many other viscose producers, the company is expected to be sourcing a large variety of tree species.